Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Movin' out!

I have to write an essay as a part of my application to the Social Work program, so I'm going to start here with a little pre writing and get everything out of my head.

Sometimes random questions just pop into my head.
If you had a Parkinson's disease patient group picture, would it turn out blurry? I know that's incredibly insensitive, but I really want to know.
Can someone with a prosthetic leg use a urinal? How do they do the little getting 'it' out of your pants dance. Do they wear boxers for easier access?
If you counted all the steps you've taken in your whole life, would there be enough to walk around the world?

I want to live in a place where people don't talk about "my struggle with SSA."
I want to live in a place where being gay isn't a disease to be treated through therapies which don't comply with APA, AMA, and NASW standards.
I want to live in a place where suicide rates for young men don't lead the nation.
I want to live in a place where the state legislature meets with their constituents before a session, not a church.
I want to live in a place where it's not freaking snowing at the beginning of April.
I want to live in a place where I don't have to be like everybody else to be respected.
I want to live in a place where I can continue my work with kids and not be terrified of coworkers and parents finding out my sexuality and assuming I'm a pedophile.
I want to live in a place where the victim is not blamed.
I want to live in a place where having a husband and two kids isn't an "alternative lifestyle."
I want to live in a place where the needs of your neighbor come in at an extremely close second to your own needs.
I want to live in a place where I can listen to broadway musicals, watch America's Next Top Model, get overly excited about the season premier of The Hills, and not have all these things attributed to my sexuality.
I want to live in a place that defines "All American" as something other than a red neck bastard who eats red meat and watches baseball.
I want to live in a place where people don't get rich off of my healthcare.
I want to live in that place the declaration of independence was talking about. A place where I am endowed with life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

6 comments:

Saint Job said...

have you thought about moving up here to WA? I'd dare to say we meet most of your criteria. :) although, if you don't like the rain...

Rob said...

Or San Diego. All of that and no rain either. I know somebody else who is seriously considering it too, for the same reasons.

Colin said...

Alan, I've heard San Diego's gay scene is pretty shallow, and while I would love to find myself living there (San Diego is the best of Southern California IMO), that kind of turned me away. I know it's not LA huge, but is the gay scene there truly something to write home about? After all, it is near many military bases. Thanks!

Rob said...

Colin:

Actually I couldn't tell you the first thing about it other than the local Affirmation group. I probably know San Francisco better than San Diego in that respect. That's what happens when you actually have a busy career, I guess. Sorry I couldn't tell you more!

Captain Oats said...

Well the plan is to win the lottery and gain a residence in each of these places. I dream big.

Frank Lee Scarlet said...

I noticed you're reading David Sedaris, one of my favorite writers. Perhaps you might want to do as he did and move overseas! As you're probably reading in 'Naked', he lives/has lived in France and London.

I dunno, when you listed off the criteria near the end of your post, Europe came to mind. (Yeah, it was a little ironic when I came to the Declaration of Independence quote, but still!)