Tuesday, June 24, 2008

2nd day at the orphanage

Today is my second day working in the Osu orphanage. I am working with the toddlers and there are about 33 of them all together. These kids' basic needs are taken care of ie. food, clothing, and shelter. But they do not get enough love. The aunties yell and beat them when they are bad. My job is to love, and I am trying my hardest. Yesterday I was all loved out and kind of discouraged but I am definitely not the first to feel this way. Today has been better and I am starting to learn how to help and love these kids. It is so different than interacting with the kids at home. These kids don't speak much English and they all starve for constant attention. I have a couple of favorites, Kofi is a sweetheart who loves nothing more than simply sitting on your lap as the chaos goes on around him. Kelvin is another one, he is all smiles and kind of mischevious. In the last couple of days the question "Why?!" has popped in my head a lot. Why was I born in America to 2 loving parents? Why do you have to live in Ghana for 2 years to adopt? Why did these children get left? Why do Ama and Kelvin rock themselves to sleep? (I've heard that this is a dangerous behavior.....any answers?) Why why why?! I love the kids already and I am prepared to give them all my love. I miss everyone at home and love you all! I forgot my camera today but I will definitely get at least 1 or 2 pictures uploaded. I got some good ones from when a couple of us took 5 of the orphans to the beach. CUTE are they!

Peace and love

1 comment:

Little T said...

Heller!

So, I'm not going to focus on you, but focus on ME! I know you will love that. I'm just teasing!

But, what you are going through reminds me of Nobody Don't Love Nobody. Yes, you read that right. I'm more than 2/3's done with it AND I've finished the Glass Castle. (Going through a book a week!)

Just remember how Stacey felt the first couple of weeks that she worked in the shelter. How hopeless, how angry, how sad, etc. You can break down that barrier of fear for the children, but it will have to be over time.

Remember when you get frustrated with how you and the children cannot communicate, remember how smart God is. He created love to be a universal feeling. You do not need to speak to feel love. You do not need to hear to feel love. You don't even have to see to feel love. All for someone to feel love, is for it to be there.

You truly love these kids, and it will even grow more as the weeks go on and God will allow the kids to feel that.

No matter what is happening on the outside, you are making a difference on the inside. Keep it up.

I miss you. I love you.