Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I'm here!

After a 14 hour plane ride I finally made it to Accra, Ghana. The hostel is located in a suburb called Teshie-camp 2. It is very nice but very poor compared to western standards. There is no running water, water is delivered each week. Right now I am just doing the lanuage and culture program and learing lots about Ghana and Twi prounounced (Chwi) I learned that my name in Twi is Kokyo pronounced Kojo. It is very interesting to learn about the different customs of the Ghanaians. You greet everyone you meet with good morning, good afternoon, or goodnight. And when conversing with another human you only use your right hand. Yesterday I gave a woman 1 cedi (equal to 1 dollar) with my left hand and I got in trouble :S Yesterday we visited the tourist market where there are a lot of different souveniers that you can buy. It was a very crazy experience! The second we stepped out of the tro tro (bus) there were people trying to sell us masks and sunglasses and braclets etc. Walking through the market, everyone would try to get you to come into their shop and buy something there. One girl called me her boyfriend! haha so now I have a Ghanaian girlfriend woot woot I can't wait to start in the orphanage on Monday. It should be a very eye opening experience. A lot of the volunteers here are really really sick. I hope I don't catch anything! I am hopefully going to be able to post some pictures when I get to the Osu internet cafe, the other volunteers say it is faster and the computers are newer. Ghana is amazing! The people are super nice the kids are hillarious. Obruni means white man so you hear that a lot as you walk past. The kids like to feel my head and touch my skin. Hopefully I can blog more later. My time here at the internet cafe has run out.

1 comment:

Little T said...

K, well show's over Kokyo. If you think you can chain me down and leave me for two months for you to date Ghana guuurrls, aw hell no!

Looks like me and Wookie are an item now. That's right.

I miss you. I love you!