Friday, July 4, 2008

Changing it up

We're changing up the routine here in G to the hana. In the mornings I will no longer be working in the school but instead we will be taking out 4 or 5 severly disabled children. These poor kids have no choice but to lay on the floor all day with little or no attention from the volunteers or aunties. Today was the first day that we did this change. I loved it! The kids were so sweet yet soo smelly :) I've learned to get past the smells and the uncleanliness of the kids and try to reach out to them. I think at least 1 of the kids has aids but I'm not sure. I'm planning on asking one of the aunties which ones are HIV + and which aren't. I want to know this just so that I can take the necessary precautions and not because I want to stay away from the ones with aids. We've also decided that Sowah is deaf (he is in the picture of me and Jessica on the beach, he is the one that I am holding) Jessica and I are going to try our hardest to teach Sowah some basic signs so that he can better communicate his needs. I know that in the short time I'm here I'm not going to be able to teach him more than a handful of signs, but hopefully we can open the door to communication for him. Sowah is one of the older kids in class and he has never uttered a word and he doesn't respond if you're not looking directly at him. He might be hard of hearing because he doesn't make unintentional moans or grunts. Either way I hope that he will benefit from the little that I can give him.

Jessica and I are also in the midst of planning a couple of weekend trips which I'm super excited about! The first we are planning is a trip up to Kumasi and then a trip to Mole National Park where we will be able to see monkeys, elephants, buffalos and lots and lots of birds. I am super excited!

2 comments:

Little T said...

You're going to be seeing all sorts of 'monkeys' there! Oooohh too soon?

Ha! I am totally kidding my love.

You teach little Sawboy (sowha?) how to sign and before you know it, he'll be calling VRS! Teach him the 'bird' from me! And say you only point it to people who's names are Joey. Deal? Deal.

I miss you very much suga! I love you!

robert said...

I'm really touched by what you are doing at such a young age. I follow many bloggers who are informed by LDS and I think you may be the most impressive I have encountered as your actions are compassionate and beyond words. My best to you from Vietnam.
Robert