Monday, July 7, 2008

Under the African sun

On Saturday we made another excursion to the beach with Kelvin and Sowah in tow. I was hoping to teach Sowah a couple of signs while we were there but I got so much more. Here is the story. We were all on the beach, getting used to the water (Neither of them were big fans of the water) when I noticed 2 Ghanaian guys signing to each other and amazingly I could understand what they were saying. Apparently Ghanaian sign language is almost exactly the same as American sign language. I approached them and started up a conversation and I eventually told them of my suspicions of Sowah being Deaf. They asked me to yell his name and snap in his either, to which sowah gave no response. They both said "Oh yeah he's Deaf" I then asked them about Deaf schools in the area. They told me about one that is about an hour away. Peter (one of the Deaf guys) said he would take Jessica, Sowah and I there on Monday to check it out and get some forms to take to the doctor so that he can get enrolled. I was extremely excited about this! In America Deaf schools are a very big deal for the Deaf community. It is where they learn not only their language but they also learn their own culture and learn where the belong in this big bad world. I believe this would also hold true for the Deaf community in Ghana.

So come Monday morning we got permission from all of the aunties necessary to take Sowah to the Deaf school to check it out. Peter and I had decided that we would meet at the beach on Monday morning and he would take us all up there. We got there and waited for about 2 and a half hours and he never showed up. I'm sure something came up because he kept telling me not to forget to meet him Monday morning. But I am bound and determined to get Sowah to the Deaf school! I will need a sponsor for him back home who is willing to pay his tuition (around $45 per semester) and pay for his transportation. Any takers?

I also got absolutely fried at the beach! I wore sunblock but that did not stop the African sun from frying my skin to a crisp.

2 comments:

Little T said...

That is an awesome experience once again baby cakes. I am very jealous that you are able to do all of this!

You now see why you decided to take ASL. I for sure now see why you did. Never did in the first place lol

I'm poor and can't give you any money besides to go towards our phone bill lol But I'm sure you'll have money flying at you, so I'm not worried.

You better call me today.

I love you. I miss you very mucho.

Molly Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.